Dahl Makhani – Mild (Serves 4-6)
What you need
1lb/450g white (Spanish) onions, peeled and finely chopped
5oz/150g ghee, butter or clarified butter
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or blitzed
2 red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped (alter according to your heat tolerance!)
3 fat inches ginger, grated or blitzed with skin on
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Dahl Makhani Spice Mix
8oz Puy lentils
24floz/700ml vegetable stock (or water)
1 can of cooked kidney beans (approx. 10oz), drained and rinsed
4tblsp pouring, single cream
Coriander, finely chopped
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking. With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!
How to make it
- In a thick bottomed casserole dish or saucepan, sweat the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies in the ghee along with your packet of GREEN SAFFRON Dahl Makhani Spice Mix for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the Puy lentils to the dish or saucepan and stir around over a gentle heat for a couple of mins, as if you’re making risotto.
- Next, add the stock (or water) and stir again to combine all the flavours and ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, then immediately turn the heat down and simmer over a gentle heat with the lid on the pan for about 40mins or until the lentils are the texture and have the ‘bite’ that you want.
Don’t forget to stir the pot occasionally to prevent sticking. Also, add more stock (or water) if you’re worried the meal is getting too dry….
- Add the kidney beans and cream, stir and simmer on a gentle heat for about 5 mins.
- Finally, sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve immediately …simple!
Serve with Indian Basmati rice, Indian bread and riata.